Activities for Year 1 Children
Please make use of Tapestry at home, upload pictures of your learning, photos of any work that you produce, and you can also contact me on their by uploading an observation without a picture, I will receive a notification you have uploaded something, but I will be checking everyday and will reply.
Activities for home
You can set up a free account for your child on Teach Your Monster to Read (click the link below) You can go on this daily, and it will recap sounds that the children have learnt and also teach them new sounds. It is free to use on a laptop and you can also download the app onto a tablet from the App Store, this is free on apple, but will cost 99p from other app stores. It really is a great resource, one which we use at school and it will help your child with their phonics, reading and writing.
- Watch some Alphablocks on BBC iPlayer
- We’ve been learning about Jack and the Beanstalk, can you create and write about someone who might be at the top of the beanstalk? Can you write a sorry card from Jack to the giant? There are lots of versions of the story on the internet.
- Can you read everyday? Read your school book, and remember Oxford Owl (click below)
- Log on to Maths Whizz daily for 30 minutes – I will be logging on and setting topics for you to complete at home.
- Play some boardgames with your family
- Can you collect some coins from around the house and sort them? Can you do a coin rubbing? Can you make an amount by adding the coins?
- Can you go on a shape hunt around your house and draw and name the shapes you find? Are they 2d or 3d?
- Dominoes are another great resource for maths games, choose a domino, write a number sentence to match. Can you double the number?
- Have a look in your garden for signs of spring, can you photograph them and put them on Tapestry for me to see?
- Can you identify the trees in your garden? Take a photo of them and put them on Tapestry for me.
- We have been learning about observational drawings of flowers, can you draw and paint a flower or plant in your garden? Again, take a photo and put it on Tapestry.
- Can you use your construction toys (lego/duplo/megablocks, or any other construction you have) to build a beanstalk with a castle at the top?
- Can you use junk modelling to make a castle? Can you research what your castle would need? Can you draw a design and label it? Can you make a drawbridge in it? What about battlements?
- Mix some washing up liquid and water to make a bubble mixture. Did you know you can use pipecleaners and bend them to make a bubble wand.
- Can you do some baking? Upload a photo of your baking. Maybe you can write about what you have made, maybe the recipe so I can make them at home!
- If you have any seeds at home, can you plant them and keep a plant diary as they grow?
Keep your body moving
- Go in the garden and practise your throwing and catching – you can make a target game using junk modelling, just stick a number on the tubs and see what score you can get.
- Have a look at cosmic kids on YouTube and do some yoga
Any questions, or if you have some more ideas you would like to share, please use Tapestry and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you for your support