Activities for Year 2 Children
Please use your online Tapestry account, for the latest updates.
Summer Term 2020 - Week 12
Summer Term 2020 - Week 11
Summer Term 2020 - Week 10
Summer Term 2020 - Week 9
Summer Term 2020 - Week 8
Summer Term 2020 - Week 7
Summer Term 2020 - Week 6
Summer Term 2020 - Week 5
Summer Term 2020 - Week 4
Summer Term 2020 - Week 3
Summer Term 2020 - Week 2
Summer Term 2020 - Week 1
- You can set up a free account for your child on Teach Your Monster to Read (click the link below). You can go on this daily, and it will recap sounds that the children have learnt and also teach them new sounds. It is free to use on a laptop and you can also download the app onto a tablet from the App Store, this is free on apple, but will cost 99p from other app stores. It really is a great resource, one which we use at school and it will help your child with their phonics, reading and writing.
- Can you write your own story?
‘I couldn’t believe my eyes when I woke up and saw a space rocket in my front garden!’
Can you carry on this story to describe your own fantasy journey.
- Where would you go?
- What does it look like?
- What’s the weather like?
- Do you meet anyone?
- Do you meet any problems along the way?
- How do you find your way back home?
- Read every day – read your reading book, but also you can access free reading books from Oxford Owl.
- Imagine you are Jack or the Giant from Jack and the Beanstalk, can you write a diary from each of their perspectives. How do you think they feel? What would they write in their diary?
- Log on to Maths Whizz daily for 30 minutes – I will be logging on and setting topics for you to complete at home.
- Espresso has maths games and videos which you can use.
- Play some boardgames with your family
- There are lots of great maths games on topmarks.co.uk some can be used on tablets and laptops.
- Practise 2, 5 and 10 times tables
- Complete calculations using all four operations (+, -, x and ÷)
- Measure objects around your home and record the lengths
- Go on a 3D shape hunt, write the names of all the shapes you find, then make a table and record the number of faces, edges and vertices for each object.
- Collect some coins from your money box, list the coins you have and find the total amount. Try to make the same amount using different coins.
- Have a look in your garden for signs of spring, can you photograph them and put them on Tapestry for me to see?
- Can you identify the trees in your garden? Take a photo of them and put them on Tapestry for me.
- We have been learning about observational drawings of flowers, can you draw and paint a flower or plant in your garden? Again, take a photo and put it on Tapestry.
- Can you use your construction toys (lego/duplo/megablocks, or any other construction you have) to build a beanstalk with a castle at the top?
- Can you use junk modelling to make a castle? Can you research what your castle would need? Can you draw a design and label it? Can you make a drawbridge in it? What about battlements?
- Mix some washing up liquid and water to make a bubble mixture. Did you know you can use pipecleaners and bend them to make a bubble wand.
- Can you do some baking? Upload a photo of your baking. Maybe you can write about what you have made, maybe the recipe so I can make them at home!
- If you have any seeds at home, can you plant them and keep a plant diary as they grow?
Keep your body moving
- Go in the garden and practise your throwing and catching – you can make a target game using junk modelling, just stick a number on the tubs and see what score you can get.
- Have a look at cosmic kids on youtube and do some yoga http://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
Any questions, or if you have some more ideas you would like to share, please use Tapestry and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you for your support